Another New Years Eve, another Avett Brothers concert. Now that’s the way to ring in 2016. I’ve lost count on how many times I’ve seen them in concert + each show is more amazing than the last.
After all the food + alcohol that was consumed this holiday, we decided to tailgate in style at the Greensboro Coliseum… with a more healthy spread + some champs. Because what’s New Years Eve without champs?!
Thoughts I had at the show…
- Scott Avett can play just about any instrument, including a kazoo. When they opened the show, he was playing the kazoo while jamming on the banjo. Be still my heart. The person who caught the kazoo is one lucky SOB.
- I ADORE their ever-changing looks. Last year’s NYE show, Scott Avett was clean cut + Seth Avett was the one with long hair + beard. This year it was Seth who was the clean cut one and Scott had the long beard. Both can do no wrong.
- The woman behind us had a constant resting bitch face throughout the entire show. I couldn’t tell if she was constipated or if that was just her normal demeanor.
- Joe Kwon had major hat game, bravo!
- In other Joe Kwon news, I love watching him jam out while he plays on the cello… that’s passion y’all.
- Of course I have to give some love to Bob Crawford… he’s the master of the upright base. And I’m not going to lie, I love his casual slightly hipster style.
- Speaking of style, Scott can totally pull off suspenders.
- Father Time aka Valient was fantastic. Not only did he ring in 2016, but the man can sing. He sang Time is On My Side + Don’t Do Me Like That with the Avetts as they did the big balloon drop. Major props!
- They performed Divorce Separation Blues, a new song for their upcoming album. And duh, it was amazing! I know some of my friends will appreciate it + can relate to the song.
Their setlist for their show…
- The D Bag Rag
- Down with the Shine
- The Fall
- Live + Die
- Paranoia in B Major
- Will You Return
- February Seven
- Talk on Indolence
- I and Love and You
- Murder in the City
- Divorce Separation Blues
- In the Garden
- Die Then Grow
- Kick Drum Heart
- The Girl I Left Behind Me
- Laundry Room
- Satan Pulls the Strings
- Morning Song
- Slight Figure of Speech
- Time is on My Side (Stones Cover)
- Don’t Do Me Like That (Tom Petty Cover)
- Salvation Song
- Pretty Girl from Greensboro- ENCORE
- Another Is Waiting– ENCORE
- Head Full of Doubt– ENCORE
- Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite– ENCORE
In conclusion, I’m a total Avett Brothers bandaid. I will continue to go to their NYE shows as long as they continue to have them.